The good news, is that the trail is now officially open. A 20 kilometer, 400 meters elevation gain/loss loop to the confluence of the Elk River and Kootenay. Offering a very mellow single-track ride around the area.
This route is believed to have been used in 1897 by two bicycle riders coming from Kalispell to provide a much-needed communication link between the East Kootenays and the wider world.
A traditional Ktunaxa trail, this trail was first used by Europeans in 1864 to carry supplies to the gold rush at Wildhorse Creek and smuggle gold back to the US to avoid the 25% BC Tax. The trail was also travelled by David Thompson (1807-1811), Father De Smelt (1850s), Blackiston and John Palliser (1858 ).
Lots of history, and a great new non-motorized trail which will be very popular during the spring season.
CHECK OUT THE ROUTE ON TRAILFORKS: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/elk-rim-trail/